Thursday, September 25, 2008

Language Pet Peeves

These are language things I find annoying:

 

The phrase "Big Girl Panties"

What the hell does that mean?  When you switch from durable functional cotton underwear to skimpy polyester man-attracting wisps?  Does that somehow convey the act of mature behavior to some people?  It also has the nice added effect of making every conversation vulgar “When I saw my mother lay dying, I put on my big girl panties and strove to give her the care and compassion needed to make her last days comfortable.”  Eau de Trailer, eh?

 

“Veg”

Eww…  I can’t complain that this British shortening of the word “vegetable” is wrong, but I just hate it for no good reason.  It leads to really unattractive mouth contortions.   Begin by drawing your upper lip up and bracing your lower lip against your front teeth like a demented Billy Idol.  Then let the whole thing drop like your Masai lip plate has fallen to the floor.  Very attractive.

 

“Li-barry”

I’m embarrassed to say that there are people in the library science field that use this pronunciation.  Please stop!

 

“Where are you at?”

Maybe this is strictly a regional thing, but it always surprised me.  I say “Where are you?” but I also pronounce “aunt” as “ah-nt” instead of “ant.”  Perhaps this comes from having parents who came from Wisconsin and Minnesota because most of the people who say this come fromChicago or Detroit .   I can’t tell if there is a difference in meaning between “Where are you?” and “Where are you at?”   The “at” takes an even stronger role in “where at?”   It seems to take the place of “Where is it?” which is a complete sentence.   As a result, if someone ask me “where at?” I tend to look totally vacant for a few moments before answering. 

 

Using “literally” inappropriately.

I hear this in the news a lot.  “The storm literally turned her life into a nightmare?”   Oh it did, did it?  It turned a waking experience into the dream state manifestations of the subconscious?  Doesn’t that sounds like a relief?  

People also say “My eyes literally popped out of my head!”  Really? How’d you get them back in?

1 comment:

Mark Pennington said...

I've literally listed the top 40 malaprops. Think you've heard 'em all? Check out these Top 40 Vocabulary Pet Peeves, but warning… you may cringe on a few that you have misused.