Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Amazing Shrinky Dink Ruler

I’m making a luchador necklace for Eli (with big manly links. It’ll be tough!), but I lost the original sketch of the masks. No problem, I could recreate those, but I couldn’t remember how big the shrinky dinks were before I shrunk them in the oven. So I got out a ruler and applied my mathematic skills.

It turns out I have no mathematic skills.

I now have five beautiful 3 inch long luchador masks. Okay, they will make very nice fridge magnets (although I think they should be backed with another layer of plastic for stability), but they're way too large for a necklace.

Clearly I needed some kind of tool.

I made one.

Now I don’t claim to be the only one to have thought of this, but it was an original idea for me. After all, bats and birds both developed flying abilities wholly separate from one another.

I took a scrap piece of Shrinkydink and laid a measuring tape next to it.

I then marked off all of the measurements on the plastic.

Then I baked it in the oven, shrinking it down. All shrinky dinks of the same brand should shrink to the same proportion.

Now I can tell how big a shrinkydink was before I baked it!

13 comments:

EliPunk77 said...

You are so talented!

Anthrid said...

Play your cards like that, mister, and you're going to find yourself owning luchador fridge magnets! :)

Crafty Crab said...

That's pretty clever!

And those luchadors turned out really awesome!!

anthonyturducken said...

how long is the shrunk 4 inch piece now?

Pia said...

good thinking batman

curegirl0421 said...

Too smart!!!

zakkalife said...

genius! I'm definitely going to make one to use for future shrinky dink projects.

jessica

stOOpidgErL said...

Just saw this on Craft Zine website. :O)

What a good idea!

msubulldog said...

Okay, that's just genius! :)

Anthrid said...

The shrunken ruler is just about 2 3/4 inches

Anthrid said...

Thanks guys, for commenting!

Anonymous said...

if you used any specific resources for the luchador masks, could you please tell me. Thanks.

Anthrid said...

I don't use a specific reference. I've got to lucha libre matches, bought masks, etc. They're all basically the same basic design with different details.

Interestingly, Lucha Libre appears to be a hot thing these days (have I become a hipster?) and there are some really good books about it.