Monday, June 16, 2008

Disco Knut Doesn't Need to Advertise!

Our awesome friend, Robin, threw a 1970s Disco themed party on Saturday. It was a blast! She had all the decorations and a DJ who played disco records all night. We danced and partied until we sweated our blue eyeshadow off!

And our costumes were a labor of love.

I wore stuff I actually own: a brown jersey knit dress with a smocked empire waist, a brown loosely crotcheted long coat, cork soled wedges with brown leather flowers, a triple string of big wooden beads, and makeup that seriously looked like a blow up doll. Blue eye shadow was all I had to buy.

Knut’s outfit, however, was out of sight!

The Elvis glasses were the first thing we bought. Knut never took them off.

Tiny shorts were a must, but no one wears ping pong shorts anymore. We went to Target to try to find a pair that would work. Knut’s a big guy at 6’ 2” and I first found a pair that were pretty short but not nearly tight enough. He tried them on but they were just too modest. I spotted a couple more pairs in the rack that people had tried on. The clerk told me “Those are mens” and I said “I’ve got a man in the dressing room.” “Take ‘em to your man, then!” she laughed. I found a smaller size (they’re still a little bigger than I would have liked) and the core of his outfit was born.

I then picked out the baby blue t-shirt because it just looked 70s. On to the sock aisle.

If they still make the knee length tube socks with yellow stripes, I have no idea where to find them. These were supposedly knee length, but we had to cut the toes out for Knut to get them all the way up. I painted the yellow stripes on. Knut actually didn’t know what tube socks were. “Where are the heels?” he asked. I explained that _everyone_ wore striped tube socks in the 70s and early 80s. My brothers had dozens of pairs. Apparently that trend never made it to Europe. I did raid my parents’ basement in the hope of finding an authentic pair hiding out somewhere, but to no avail.

Now for the shirt. Originally, I had thought to do a 1970s Cubs logo, but suddenly visions of R. Crumb filled my mind. What expressed the zeitgeist more than “Keep on Truckin’?” I used a white shirt transfer (the ones where you have to reverse the image) to get that fuzzy vintage look.

Knut added his Converse and a thing gold chain. The Afro was courtesy of Robin, but he looked pretty cute without it too.

And I was right about the socks! People laughed themselves silly over them.

No comments: