Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Day I Fell in Love With a German

I’m referring to Prince Esterhazy, of course!

Actually, I’m referring to Michael Sowa.

Once, while visiting my brother at college in Princeton, I happened into one of those lovely used bookstores that seem to pervert the bounds of physics in an M.C. Escher style maze of shelves and piles. I found a gigantic complete works of Jane Austen for $5 and took it up to the register. By the counter, the owner had a rack of tattered postcards, mostly of amusing cat photos, but one caught my eye. It was a painting of a man reading a newspaper while a penguin flew past the window. I bought it and turned it over. “Michael Sowa” it said.

Years later, my future husband and I were goofing around in Edinburgh. We had done the Royal Mile, the ghost tour, the haggis, etc. and were hanging around a side street when we saw a twisty old book shop with a rack of postcards by the door. I found one of a little bunny trying on leopard print boxer shorts in front of a mirror. We bought some of them and stepped into an impossibly dark and dank pub. Knut examined one of a girl with her arm around a trotting bear. He turned it over. “Michael Sowa.”

After that, my brother, the same one who had been at Princeton, sent me a birthday card of a few children running in terror from a giant rampaging Easter bunny. I smiled and turned it over. “Michael Sowa.”

Obviously, this was fate. I don’t believe in Fate, but this was fate with a small “f.” Clearly this thing had to be researched.

I searched Amazon and found he has a few books, most of which were in German or I had to buy used. A very small sacrifice, because the man has a sense of humor and a whimsical style that can’t be matched. The children’s books are funny and sweet and The Bestiary is crammed with ticklish creatures.

A few years ago I caught an advert for an exhibition of his work in Germany. I seriously considered hopping on a plane. Alas, the spirit was willing, but the wallet was weak. However, if any gallery in the Mid West would like to give me a birthday present…

In 2001, I was delighted to see a new film by my favorite French director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet. It was Amelie, destined to be a film I’ve watched countless times. So when we get a glimpse of the walls of her apartment and the winsome dog portraits and bejeweled chickens, I smiled to myself. “Ah, Michael Sowa.”

1 comment:

Jenny S said...

I seem to have fallen under his spell as well. Found his postcards at little bookshops in Germany years ago and watched as his work started slowly showing up in the U.S. Didn't know that about Amelie though! Very nice!