Monday, March 10, 2008

Crabs and Snails

I've thought about submitting these to Craft magazine. Not that I’ve done it yet because I’m scared the cool kids will think I’m dorky.

We went to the seashore all the time when we lived in Norway and I was always picking up interesting shells and pebbles. I was goofing around and came up with these little guys. They’re polymer clay bodies in real (abandoned) snail shells. The snails have little black glass eyes. I did try putting them on the end of their eyestalks but the effect was creepy beyond words.

Knut tried making these with his 8th grade Art class and they had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, they really stunk up the classroom because, uh, the kids weren’t too particular about whether the shells still had snails inside them.

No snails were harmed in the making of these craft items. And the kitchen didn’t stink either.

No comments: