Saturday, March 29, 2008

Illustration Friday "Homage" Top Hat Bunny


This is a piece that my husband, Knut Sjurseth, and I both worked on. I think I drew the original outline, he polished it, I objected that she looked too tarty, I redrew the face, he fixed something else, and then I colored it in Photoshop. The objective? To make amusing t-shirts!
We were imagining a world where the bunny gets to be more than just a prop. An assistant! In a sparkly costume!
This sexy bunny girl is definitely a homage to the pin up girls of the 40s and 50s. My husband and are crazy about those illustrations (for a jaw achingly good time visit James Lilek's Art Frahm site. He specialized in ladies, with celery and small dogs, who have undie malfunctions). There's something about the cheer and fun in the girls' faces that really separates them from the calendar girls of today.
Anyone who happens on this blog by chance, please do visit the Illustration Friday site. Too much good stuff to miss!


4 comments:

Hey Harriet said...

What a fab homage! Great idea paying tribute to the pinup girls of that era! Your sexy Top Hat Bunny certainly well represents the coolness of those days gone by! Love it :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very pretty!

van dyke said...

Funny and cute! Like her relaxed pose, she looks very much at home.

Ellen said...

Nice piece!! Ahem, uh, that's not how I meant it. Nice illo?!