Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pennsylvania Dutch Hex Sign Necklace


I owe so much to the Pennsylvania Dutch. Not because I’m desended from them (my German relatives came over later into Wisconsin), but because they invented pie. If there is any greater and more sublime invention in the history of man, I cannot name it.

Don’t give me that “wheel” or “internal combustion engine” crap.

They also developed a really beautiful and simple style of decoration frequently found on handwritten documents, samplers, and hope chests. These featured stylized birds, fruits, flowers, and stars. When these fine people grew prosperous, they painted beautiful symbols on barns known as hex signs.

Many people nowadays talk about the symbolism and possibly magic properties of these symbols. I don’t know about that. If they were anything like my stern religious German grandma, they were “just for pretty.”

In any case, this necklace showcases 5 minature hex signs. They are not printed or stamped, but individually drawn by me. I used historical photographs as a reference.

This item will appear on Etsy very soon

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

I love this! Reminds me of garage doors in wisconsin.

M said...

Have you already sold this? (I'm guessing you have..) It's beautiful. Thanks (:

Anonymous said...

It's cool but it's a shrinky-dink. You can make it yourself.

garage doors said...

yeah this is awesome i like it very much thanks.