Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dog Flowers

Quite a while ago, one of my co-workers forwarded me some really darling photos of an Asian woman holding a bouquet of flowers shaped like a little dog.
They were adorable!
So I figured I had a challenge.
I decided my mother had to have one for Valentine's day. I bought one bouquet of butter colored mums and one mixed bouquet from the supermarket and went home to experiment.
Okay, these are not easy to make! I needed to sort through all the mums to find ones that are not only the right shape, but lie correctly together. I ended up wiring them together with pipecleaners (which turned out to be a good choice. They didn't bruise the stems and allowed little spaces between them). The nose and mouth are bits of Fimo molded into shape and attached to 1" long wires, which were them stuck into the hearts of the flowers. I surrounded the mum dog with the mixed bouquet and tied a ribbon around the neck of the vase.
Mom loved it and kept referring to it as "Colin." Colin is my little spaniel.
Amazingly, the dog part outlived the rest of the flowers! This last photo is taken two weeks after Valentine's and he still looks good.
Spending $7 to make something that looked like it came from an
expensive florist is pretty nifty. :)

No comments: