Friday, March 7, 2008

Easter goodies



Easter is coming up and I definitely look forward to the days when the world blossoms into thousands of bunnies.   And chenille chicks.   I definitely have a chenille chick obsession with was greatly fed when I lived in Norway .   Chicks are the more traditional Easter animal in that part of Europe (they don’t have wild bunnies, although they do have hares) and the fluffy yellow Easter kind is beloved.   I have bought chenille roosters, hens with kerchiefs and nests, hens with babies, colored chicks, chicks with bowties, chicks with real feather wings, whole families, and geese.  I gathered a fair amount of them on a white feather tree, which I think is pretty snappy.

 

Some of the more standard chicks seemed a little plain and since Easter bonnets are also traditional, these babies have been decked out in style.   The little hats are made of paper and decorated by me with ribbons, feathers, pussywillow catkins, beads, and other items.  Interestingly, although I put these hats on plain chicks, I did find tiny chicks for sale this year wearing similar paper hats—but without the millinery edge.

 

 I happened across some little wooden clogs, which I thought were pretty cute and, since it was around Easter, I figured I needed a kick line.   These little guys are made of pressed cotton balls, felt, miniature wooden clogs, bead eyes, and polymer clay beaks.   The clogs made them surprisingly easy to balance.   I was afraid I’d be stuck having them in one position in order to balance them correctly, but I think I ended up with a fair range of movement.

No comments: